Tania Moore

Tania Moore (26)  Tania Moore showjumping
   Tania Moore (29 March 2004). The picture taken of Tania
   showjumping was two months before she was murdered.

Tania first met Mark Dyche at a Young Farmer’s Ball in 2002. Tania broke off her engagement to him in February 2003 as he was already two-timing her with one of her friends. It was after this that Dyche began his hate-campaign against Tania, which included threatening text messages and a hired assault that left her in hospital. She then stayed in London and it became obvious that he was monitoring her movements. On New Year’s Eve 2003, in a packed pub, Dyche threatened to kill her (which was reported to police). The night of her murder, which was carefully planned by Dyche, he bought a car, took a concealed route, and ran her car off the road on a country lane. Before Tania could get out of the car, he broke the driver’s side window and then shot her in the head. Ten years earlier Dyche had also threatened to kill his wife. Dyche received a life sentence for murdering Tania, but plans to appeal.

From The Timesonline (20 Apr 2005):


A talented riding instructor was driven off the road by her obsessive former fiance and shot through the head after a long campaign against her in which he threatened to break her legs and blind her, a court heard today.

Mark Dyche, 36, ambushed Tania Moore on a country lane in Derbyshire and followed her several miles before crashing into her car and killing her, a jury was told. He smashed the driver’s window and shot her at point blank range in the face after months of watching her, threatening her and stealing from her, a court heard.

Dyche, of Thurvaston Road, Marston Montgomery, Derbyshire, denies murder and conspiracy to rob his former girlfriend. Peter Joyce QC, prosecuting, told a jury at Nottingham Crown Court that the murder was the end of a long campaign of obsession by Dyche. He said: “He had known Tania Moore for quite some time. He had gone out with Tania, he had got engaged to Tania, he had bought Tania gifts and then they broke up. “Then the campaign started – possessive, jealous and obsessive. The murder was the finishing point. The starting point was that he used to watch her, he would threaten her, he would steal things from her. Then he had her robbed … He wanted her hurting. He wanted her legs breaking …He wanted to be in control.”

The court heard that Dyche paid others to rob and assault Miss Moore in June, 2003 as part of his campaign against her. He borrowed £2,000 from his new girlfriend, Helen Smith, and told the men he wanted them to steal a watch which he had given Miss Moore as a gift and her mobile phone.

After the robbery, the victim gave a statement to police in which she said she felt frightened and vulnerable and feared for her safety. Her words were read to the court today and she stated: “The incident has left me feeling frightened and extremely vulnerable. I no longer feel safe in my own home. I wish the people responsible to be held responsible for their actions.” She said she received bruising and swelling to her head face and legs in the unprovoked attack at her home and riding stables in Alkmonton, Derbyshire.

Three men, Craig Stonier, 41, John Booth, 23 and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons, all from Stoke on Trent, have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to rob Miss Moore between February and June, 2003. A fourth man, Jason Bloor, 32, of Kendrick Street, Longton, Stoke, denies the same offence and is standing trial alongside Dyche. Mr Joyce said he was the quartermaster and arranged the robbery at the request of Dyche. Mr Joyce said Dyche and another man, Colin Colley, dressed in paper suits on the night of the murder and waited in a country lane until Miss Moore finished a riding lesson. They followed her to Long Lane in Longford, less than a mile from her home and Dyche drove her off the road, the court heard. He then allegedly got out of the car, smashed the window and fired the weapon.

Mr Joyce added: “Having disabled her car, Mr Dyche then got out and shot her having broken her driver’s side window while she was captive sitting in her car.”The jury heard that Dyche’s new girlfriend, Helen Smith, originally gave him an alibi, but would now give evidence to say she had picked him up after the murder on March 29 last year. Dyche claims that Colin Colley shot the young horsewoman to his surprise after he told him just to frighten or alarm Miss Moore. The jury was told Colley has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to inflict grievous bodily harm.

From Ashbourne News Telegraph (11 May 2006):


THREE men responsible for robbing and beating a show jumper who was later murdered by her ex-fiance have had their “unduly lenient” sentences increased at the Court of Appeal. However, a fourth man who was present on the night Tania Moore, 26, was shot dead by jilted Mark Dyche did not have his punishment increased, after judges heard his life was in danger after he gave crucial evidence for the prosecution.

John Booth, Craig Stonier and Darryl Worsdale all admitted conspiracy to rob Miss Moore when they appeared at Nottingham Crown Court in April. A month later, Booth, 25, of Anson Road, Meir, Stoke on Trent, received a four-year sentence; Stonier, 43, of Kingsley Holt, Cheadle, got two-and-a-half years, and Worsdale, 18, of Harroby Road, Meir, was sentenced to a year in a young offenders institution. Colin Colley, 41, of Waterside Drive, Stoke, was jailed for three-and-a-half years after admitting conspiracy to inflict grievous bodily harm on Miss Moore in a separate incident on the night she was killed.

Dyche, 36, who recruited all four men involved in the two offences, was convicted of murder and conspiracy to rob, and received a life sentence with a minimum tariff of 30 years. However, the Solicitor General yesterday challenged the sentences given to Booth, Stonier, Worsdale and Colley as “unduly lenient” and argued they should be increased. Judges heard in June, 2003, Booth and Worsdale attacked Miss Moore with a baseball bat at the “isolated” farm where she lived in Alkmonton, near Sudbury, while Stonier drove the getaway car. The three had been instructed by Dyche to ‘frighten’ Miss Moore and steal a valuable watch and her mobile telephone — and were paid a total of £2,000 to do so. In March, 2004, Colley accompanied Dyche when Miss Moore’s former lover drove her car off the road in Long Lane, Marston Montgomery, and fatally shot in her in the face with a shotgun. Lord Justice Gage, sitting with Mr Justice Holland and Judge Wide, ruled the sentences passed on Booth, Worsdale and Stonier were not long enough, given the “terrifying” nature of the first attack. Miss Moore was pushed to the ground, punched, kicked and beaten about the legs and head with a baseball bat after Booth and Worsdale called at her home claiming their car had broken down. Lord Justice Gage increased Booth’s sentence to five-and-a-half years, gave Stonier five years — despite the fact they gave evidence against Dyche — and increased Worsdale’s term to three years. However, regarding Colley, the judge said although a higher sentence could have passed at the Crown Court, it was not unduly lenient because of his help to the Crown and the fact he faced ‘double jeopardy’. Colley had admitted on the basis that although he knew Dyche wanted to attack Miss Moore, he did not realise he was carrying a gun and had no idea he would kill her. After the killing, Dyche torched his own car in Newborough and gave Colley several items to dispose of, but he later led police to them and took the stand at trial. Lawyers for Colley said he was now in fear of his life because he gave evidence against Dyche, and has had to move prisons because of the threat hanging over him.

This article was originally published in the Burton Mail.

Mark Dyche (36)  Mark Dyche, appealing sentence.

***UPDATE – November 2006***

An investigation by the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) has severely criticised the Derbyshire Police’s handling of Tania’s case. The investigation of the IPCC has led to one Detective Constable being sacked, one Detective Inspector being demoted, and four other officers given reprimands. A seventh officer was cleared in the investigation.

The Scotsman (02 Nov 2006):

Neville Dean

A POLICE force was yesterday condemned for its “abysmal” handling of the case of a talented young showjumper murdered by her jealous ex-boyfriend after a campaign of harassment.

The police watchdog identified a catalogue of failings in the way Derbyshire Police dealt with complaints made by keen horsewoman Tania Moore in the weeks and months before was she was forced off the road and shot dead by gun fanatic Mark Dyche.

Miss Moore’s mother, Stella, said that if the police had dealt with her daughter’s case properly, she would still be alive.

“I hold the police responsible for failing to protect Tania and ultimately for her death,” she said, after the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) unveiled its findings.

Derbyshire Police announced that a detective constable had been sacked, a detective inspector demoted and four other officers given reprimands following a disciplinary inquiry.

The IPCC said the actions of all six officers amounted to a “dereliction of duty”.

Commissioner Amerdeep Somal said: “The Derbyshire Police response was abysmal.” Ms Somal said Miss Moore had told police on at least six occasions of problems with Dyche. The report had identified a litany of “fundamental errors” in the way police dealt with her complaints, Ms Somal said.

Miss Moore, 26, was rammed off the road by Dyche, 36, in Alkmonton, near Derby, in March 2004. He then shot her in the face. It was the climax of a hate campaign. Ms Somal said Miss Moore had endured a “year of terror” at the hands of Dyche, to whom she was once engaged.

On 2 June, 2003, Miss Moore was attacked at her home by two men during a violent robbery in which she was repeatedly hit with a baseball bat. She told the police she believed Dyche may have been behind the robbery.

The IPCC said the Derbyshire force had failed properly to investigate her allegations concerning Dyche, who was never questioned about the robbery.

The deputy chief constable of Derbyshire Police, Alan Goodwin, said: “Our primary concern has been to ensure that Tania’s family learn the truth about the way in which her requests for assistance were dealt with.”

From The Guardian (02 Nov 2006):

Martin Wainwright

A police officer has been sacked, another demoted and four others, including a chief inspector, reprimanded for “abysmal” failure to protect a show-jumper who was violently threatened for a year and then brutally murdered.

Some of the severest disciplinary action to be taken against officers in recent years was announced yesterday by Derbyshire police, who agreed that basic lines of inquiry which might have prevented the tragedy had never been pursued.

The failure was criticised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which was called in after pleas from the family of Tania Moore. The 26-year-old was rammed off a country lane near Alkmonkton in March 2004 and shot in the face by her former boyfriend Mark Dyche.

The trial of Dyche last year heard that Ms Moore had repeatedly told police about her fears following a robbery at her stables, stalking and threats to gouge out her eyes and break her legs. They came from the 36-year-old gun fanatic, who had a history of violence, after Ms Moore broke off their engagement, leaving him bitter.

The officers, including a detective inspector who has been demoted to sergeant, were serving in the Ashborne division at the time and are known locally. But they have not been named in accordance with IPCC and local constabulary practice in such cases.

Tania’s mother, Stella Moore, said that they should all be dismissed and the family’s lawyer, Peter Mahy, called for them to be named. He said: “It is unsatisfactory in this day and age that these disciplinary proceedings against the police were heard in private behind closed doors.”

He said the officers had pleaded guilty and “because of the secrecy of the proceedings, those involved have not had to give an account of themselves in public”.

The IPCC said that the response was “abysmal – no officer took control and no meaningful investigation took place.”

Mrs Moore said: “I hold the police responsible for failing to protect Tania, and ultimately for her death. ”

Dyche was dressed in a pesticide spraying suit and a balaclava when he rammed Ms Moore’s car and shot her at close range as she lay trapped. He had made no secret of his hatred. Dyche, who showed no remorse when he was sentenced to life in jail last year, was a digger driver from a different world from the round of hunt balls and riding fixtures followed by Ms Moore. But the pair shared an interest in country sports and got engaged after meeting at a dance on the border between Derbyshire and Staffordshire, where Ms Moore ran a stable.

Derbyshire’s deputy chief constable, Alan Goodwin, said that the misconduct panel, headed by the deputy head of an outside force, had been determined “to ensure that Tania’s family learn the truth about the way in which her requests for assistance were dealt with by the police”.

From the BBC (02 Nov 2006):


A Derbyshire detective has been sacked and five other officers disciplined over the handling of events prior to the shooting dead of a showjumper.

A police watchdog described inquiries prior to the killing of 26-year-old Tania Moore in 2004 as “abysmal”.

“The response by Derbyshire Police was abysmal” – Amerdeep Somal, IPCC Commissioner for Derbyshire

Former partner Mark Dyche, 37, shot her in the face after being jilted. Police failed to properly investigate Dyche’s harassment of Miss Moore, it said.

Her family said they held police responsible for failing to protect her.
Dyche was jailed for life for her murder after a trial in 2005.

Six officers admitted failing in their duties regarding a robbery investigation involving Ms Moore.

A female detective was sacked, another officer demoted and four others – ranging from the rank of constable to chief inspector – were reprimanded by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). All have 14 days to appeal.

A seventh officer was cleared during the investigation, which also looked at how Derbyshire Police communicated with Staffordshire Police.

The inquiry looked at how the police dealt with an earlier robbery involving Ms Moore, which was said to have been ordered by Dyche.

During the robbery, which took place in June 2003 at her home, Ms Moore was attacked and had a mobile phone and watch stolen.

During the murder trial, the court heard from the victim’s friends that Dyche had repeatedly threatened to kill her, sent hundreds of threatening text messages and warned other men to stay away from her.

‘Psychopathic killer’

Her family said in a statement that Miss Moore would be alive if the police had acted differently.

Her brother Justin Moore said: “They let her and us down – which led to her murder by a psychopathic killer well known to police.”

Amerdeep Somal, IPCC commissioner for Derbyshire, said Ms Moore had suffered “a campaign of terror” after she ended her relationship with Dyche in February 2003.
Ms Moore told police on “no fewer than six occasions” of problems that she was experiencing with Dyche.

Ms Somal said: “The response by Derbyshire Police was abysmal. Collective failure by officers and their supervisors in Ashbourne Division meant no meaningful investigation took place.”
Basic lines of inquiry were never pursued – including taking key statements from Ms Moore and her family and investigating complaints against Dyche.

Derbyshire Deputy Chief Constable Alan Goodwin said: “Throughout the investigation, our primary concern has been to ensure that Tania’s family learn the truth about the way in which her requests for assistance were dealt with by the police officers with whom she came into contact.

“I cannot imagine how traumatic Tania’s death has been for her family and would like to express our deepest sympathy for their loss.”


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: